|NURU 603||Advanced Health Assessment Across the Lifespan and Cultures||
|NURU 605||Advanced Pathophysiology across the Lifespan||
|NURU 606||Advanced Pharmacotherapeutics Across the Lifespan||
|NURU 610||Synthesis of Advanced Practice Registered Nursing (APRN) Professional Role||
|NURU 641||Psychopharmacology Across the Lifespan||
|NURU 642||Management in Lifespan Psychiatric and Mental Health Care*||
|NURU 643||Practicum in Psychotherapeutic Treatment Modalities (255 hours)*^^||
|NURU 644||Complex and Chronic Problems in Psychiatric and Mental Health Care||
|NURU 645||Practicum for Complex and Chronic Problems in Psychiatric and Mental Health Care*||
* Students in these courses are required to attend a face-to-face immersion.
^^ If a student does not complete the required 255 clinical hours during the initial specialty course clinical session/s (NURU 643 Practicum in Psychotherapeutic Treatment Modalities and NURU 645 Practicum for Complex and Chronic Problems in Psychiatric and Mental Health Care), s/he will be enrolled in a NURU 699 Independent Practicum for Clinical Hours completion Independent Practicum for Clinical Hours completion (0 credits) and required to pay a Continuing Clinical fee, per each course and session, until the student receives a “P” in the specialty clinical course or until the student’s seven year program completion timeline has expired.
Post Doctoral Certificate in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP
This certificate is designed for the APRN with a Ph.D. or DNP who wants to add a NP specialty in Psychiatric and Mental Health.
Psychiatric & Mental Health Program Overview
The Post-Doctoral Certificate, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, was created for an APRN who has a doctorate in nursing and wants to add a new NP specialty. For the psychiatric and mental health nurse practitioner certification, students will acquire skills in managing the care of individuals with psychiatric and mental health disorders in environments such as private practices, outpatient or community clinics. Areas of focus include: psychopharmacology and psychotherapeutic treatment.
- Expand your scope of practice, increase professional opportunities, and meet requirements for national certification in a new NP specialty.
- Explore emergency psychiatric services, psychosocial and physical assessments, treatment plans and managed patient care.
- Learn from online lectures, demonstrations and exercises as well as internships/clinical practice in hospitals, clinics and health centers near your home or work.
- Attend virtual immersion sessions.
- Complete your program in as little as 6 months.
- Become eligible for the American Nurse Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification examination after graduation.
Ways to Get Started
Imagine Your Future with a Psychiatric and Mental Health NP
Results for [location name]
Top Organizations Hiring
Data source: Lightcast™ 2022 www.lightcast.io
The pathway information provided through this website is based partly on U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data licensed by the University of Massachusetts Global from Lightcast. While the University of Massachusetts Global believes this data to be reliable, some of the data is based on estimates made by Lightcast when actual data is unavailable. Those estimates and the corresponding data may need to be corrected.
1. Change in employment projections 2022 - 2032
2. Based on BLS Occupational Employment Statistics and updated quarterly
3. The University of Massachusetts Global does not guarantee a job to graduates upon completion of any program
Applicants for this program must complete the formal application process with all required documents, which include:
- Completed application
- Current resume or CV
- Personal interview with Program Director
- DNP or Ph.D. from a CCNE or NLNAC accredited program
- Official transcripts from all regionally accredited institutions where post-baccalaureate coursework was completed or attempted
- Unencumbered APRN license in your current specialty*
- National certification as an APRN or CNS
- Unencumbered RN license from the state where you plan to do your precepted clinical practicum hours*
- Spring I, 2024: October 15, 2023
* Unencumbered APRN license is not required of CNS or other APRN if license is not required by their state to practice, or if in the process of taking national certification exam in specialty.
University of Massachusetts Global is accredited by the WSCUC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC)
Both the faculty and staff members have been very supportive in every way, manifesting their core values in action. Students are accorded the same respect and dignity regardless of their cultural background, color, gender or religion.
Doctor of Nursing Practice
It was always my goal to become a Nurse Practitioner. I wanted to mentor other nurses who were new to the profession and share my experiences with them.
Doctorate of Nursing Practice
It was a big sacrifice with two daughters in college and it takes persistence and patience. Brandman* is very supportive of students. They push their students in the right direction and motivate them. It was a positive experience and coming from a family of nurses, that’s saying a lot.
Doctorate of Nursing Practice