Undergraduate Financial Aid

Financial aid is available for undergraduates enrolled in degree programs and teacher credential programs in the form of need-based and non-need based grants, loans and outside scholarships.

Undergraduate Aid Options

To establish eligibility for financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application must be completed each year you request financial aid. 


Learn about Cal Grants, Chafee Grant, and other field specific programs.

An arrary of programs are available including grants, students loans and parent loans.

Research personal, unsubsidized loan options through various financial institutions.

California State Aid 

Cal Grants

The state of California offers Cal Grants A and B to qualifying undergraduate students who are residents of California and meet the GPA and financial need criteria.

Chafee Grant

The California Chafee Grant Program gives free money to current or former foster youth to use for vocational school training or college courses. To qualify, you must be a current or former foster youth, must have established court dependency between the ages of 16 and 18, and must not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1st of the award year. The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status. To apply: complete the FAFSA and submit a Chafee Grant Application.

California Military Department GI Bill Program

If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the State Military Reserve, or the Naval Militia, you may be eligible for a state-funded program designed to provide an educational incentive to improve your skills, competencies and abilities. Initial applicants must submit an online or paper application, FAFSA, and the Statement of Understanding (SOU) which are all available here: https://nationalguard.csac.ca.gov/

To lean more, read the Applicant’s Fact Sheet.

To qualify, you must:

  • Agree to remain an active member in the CMD throughout the participation period in the Program
  • Agree to attend a qualifying institution as defined by section 69432.7(l) of the California Education Code and with an active Institutional Participation Agreement with the California Student Aid Commission;
  • Agree to maintain enrollment in at least three (3) academic units per term;
  • Agree to maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) annually;
  • Maintain California residency as determined by the institution (based on resident and non-resident tuition);
  • Agree to not receive a Cal Grant award check for the same academic year; and
  • Agree to use the award to obtain a certificate, degree, or diploma that is currently not held;
Participants who enter the program during or after the 2020-2021 academic year must:


• Agree to serve two years in the California National Guard, the California State Guard, or the California Naval Militia upon completion of the last academic period of utilizing this program;

• Agree to complete course of study within 10 years of initial acceptance into the program; and

• Agree to only obtain one degree (baccalaureate, graduate, or doctoral) while participating in the program.

State Financial Aid Programs (Outside of California)

Almost every state education agency has at least one grant or scholarship available to residents, and many have a long list of student aid programs. Eligibility is usually restricted to state residents attending a college in-state, but that's not always the case. Select your state to find out what state financial aid programs may be available to you: https://www.nasfaa.org/State_Financial_Aid_Programs


Federal Aid

A wide variety of programs, each with different requirements and limits, are available. One Stop specialists are able to answer your questions. Like all UMass Global employees, they follow the Federal Student Loan Code of Conduct, ensuring that students are treated fairly.

Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grants assist low-income, undergraduate students without a baccalaureate degree. Students are limited to 12 full-time semesters of eligibility. This is a need-based grant that does not need to be repaid. Awards range from $380 to $7,395. To Apply: submit a FAFSA  and contact your One Stop Specialist.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant

Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants assist low-income, undergraduate students without baccalaureate degrees. This is a need-based grant that does not need to be repaid. Award amounts up to $450. To Apply: Submit a FAFSA and contact your One Stop Specialist. 

Federal TEACH Grant

The TEACH Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 a year to students who are completing or plan to complete course work needed to begin a career in teaching. For more information go to: https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/grants/teach

Apply for the TEACH Grant

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans

The U.S. Department of Education offers low-interest loans to eligible students to help cover the cost of college. Direct Loans are borrowed through the federal government and must be repaid. To apply for any type of Direct Loan, you must first complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We will use the information from your FAFSA to determine how much student aid you are eligible to receive. Direct Loans are generally included as part of your financial aid proposal. There are three types of Federal Direct Loans for undergraduate students – Subsidized, Unsubsidized and Parent PLUS.

Direct Subsidized Loans:  
  • Only available to undergraduate students with financial need.
  • The amount may not exceed your financial need and is limited by your grade level in school.
  • The U.S. Department of Education pays the interest on a Direct Subsidized Loan:
    • While you’re in school at least half-time, or for the first six months after you leave school (referred to as a grace period) and during a period of deferment (a postponement of loan payments).
Direct Unsubsidized Loans:
  • Available to undergraduate and graduate students - no requirement to demonstrate financial need.
  • Award amount is based on your cost of attendance and other financial aid you receive.
  • You are responsible for paying the interest on a Direct Unsubsidized Loan during all periods.
  • If you choose not to pay the interest while you are in school, your interest will accumulate and be added to the principal amount of your loan.
Direct Parent PLUS Loans

PLUS loans are federal loans that parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay education expenses. The U.S. Department of Education makes Direct PLUS Loans to eligible borrowers through schools participating in the Direct Loan Program.

  • The U.S. Department of Education is the lender.
  • The borrower must not have an adverse credit history.
  • The maximum loan amount is the student’s cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial aid received.
  • If a parent borrower is unable to secure a PLUS loan, the undergraduate dependent student may be eligible for additional unsubsidized loans to help pay for his or her education.
  • For more information and instructions on how to apply, visit: https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/loans/plus

Alternative Loans

Private student loans, also known as “alternative loans,” are made available to students through banks, credit unions and other financial institutions. Although regulated by the federal government, these loans are not subsidized or guaranteed by the government. They are a private arrangement between you and the lender. Consequently, the terms and conditions of the loan will vary from lender to lender and University of Massachusetts Global does not recommend any particular lenders. Instead, we suggest you evaluate several loan options to obtain the loan that is best suited to meet your needs. See the FAQ for more details.

Further your education with a few questions

Student Type
Please enter your zip code to proceed.
Please enter a valid zip code to proceed.
Please select a degree type
Please select your area of interest
Please select a program type
Please select a session
Have you served in the U.S. Military or are you a Military Dependant?
Please enter your name
Please enter your last name
Please enter your email to proceed
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter your phone number to proceed.
Please enter a valid phone number.

UMass Global is partnered with hundreds of employers like yours—learn if you’re eligible for tuition discounts by providing your work email address.

Please enter a valid work email address
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

About UMass Global

Earn your bachelor’s degree, master’s degree or certificate at UMass Global, a regionally accredited university.

We value your privacy

By submitting this form, I agree that UMass Global and/or Kaplan North America, LLC may contact me about educational services by voice, pre-recorded message and/or text message using automated technology, at the phone number provided, including wireless numbers. I understand that my consent is not required to attend University of Massachusetts Global. Privacy Policy